QUICK GUIDE TO REDUCING FUEL USAGE WITH YOUR BOAT
Short from switching to an electric outboard motor, you are faced with the rising cost of fuel as you enjoy your boat. Whether large or small, the rules for reducing fuel consumption on boats are the same. Here is a look at the ways you can reduce the cost of fuel while you enjoy your boating experience.
• Slower speeds reduce fuel consumption, and you’ll probably be boating more safely
• Use your trim tabs to reduce drag, especially when you are accelerating up to planing speed
• Reduce the time you idle at the dock
• Minimise the use of onboard generators (use dockside electrical power where available)
• Stick to your float plan so you know exactly where you are going
• Keep your hull clean
• Have enough motor in your boat so it can handle the load because underpowered boats use more fuel
• Maintain your propeller
• Maintain your engine because a well-tuned engine uses a lot less fuel
• Make sure to use the grade of fuel specified by your engine manufacturer
• Don’t stow items you never use
Is there anything you can add to this article? Let us know and share with everyone else in the comments section below.