QUICK GUIDE TO PROTECTING YOUR BOAT FROM THIEVES
Apart from making it harder for thieves to steal your boat, you will get a better deal on your boat insurance. Get ahead of opportunistic thieves with these great ideas. If you want to reduce your insurance, check what your particular insurer is looking for.
DON’T GIVE THEM A CHANCE
It’s easy to get lazy around the marina. You’ll see plenty of keys left in boats by owners who feel safer than they actually are. Many boat thieves are actually opportunistic. Even if you are only getting ice, always take the keys out of your boat.
SECURE YOUR TRAILER
Boat trailers are easy to steal when they are left without any security. They make for a great cash reward for opportunistic thieves…
• Avoid leaving your boat trailer unsecured on the street or in a car park
• Park your trailer in your backyard out of sight
• Install sensor lighting around where you park your trailer
• Chain your trailer to a solid object
• Remove one wheel from your trailer
• Install wheel locks on your boat trailer
KEEP A PHOTOGRAPHIC AND ELECTRONIC RECORD
• Make sure you have photos of everything on your boat and original receipts if you have them
• Keep all records stored on your computer
• Find out about Microdot technology – this way you can prove a boat is yours
ALARMS AND TRACKING
Waterproof GPS alarm systems use GPS and Microdot tech to track and identify your boat.
Is there anything you can add to this article? Let us know and share with everyone else in the comments section below.