HOW TO MAKE CAMP COTTAGE PIE USING A DUTCH OVEN
A great, complete meal you can make while exploring the bush is camp cottage pie, especially on a chilly night. It’s a filling, beefy recipe you can make with a Dutch oven over a campfire. Here is the recipe for you below.
To make the meat filling, you need the following:
• 1kg ground beef
• 1 medium-sized onion, diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp oil
• 4 cups of beef stock
• 3 carrots, sliced
• 2 cups of frozen peas
• 1/2 cup of water
• 2 tbsp of cornstarch
To make the topping, you need the following ingredients:
• 3 medium potatoes
• 2 tbsp of butter
• milk, as needed
• 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
• Italian herbs or paprika
• salt and pepper to taste
• To make camp cottage pie, you first need to preheat your Dutch oven over the campfire to a medium temperature.
• Then, heat up the oil and saute the diced onion. When the onion starts to soften and caramelize, add the ground beef and let it cook thoroughly.
• Also, add salt and pepper to the beef to taste.
• Once the beef is brown and cooked, add the garlic and incorporate it into the mixture.
• Then, add the beef stock, use it to deglaze the bottom of your Dutch oven and stir your stew well.
• When there are no more brown bits at the bottom of your Dutch oven, add the carrots and peas. Then, let the stew simmer until your vegetables cook and soften.
• In a cup, make a slurry by mixing water and cornstarch. Add the slurry to the pot and stir until your stew starts to boil again. When the stew starts to thicken, take it off the campfire and set it aside.
• Then, it is time to make the potato filling. In a separate pot, cover your potatoes in water and add salt. Boil them until they’re soft. Once cooked, drain your potatoes and mash them finely. Then, add the butter and milk, and mix the mashed potato until it becomes fluffy. Also, season your mash with salt and pepper.
• Next, gently spoon the mashed potato over the stew you just cooked and spread it to cover the top of your stew.
• Sprinkle it with grated cheese and Italian herbs. You can also substitute the herbs with some smoked paprika. Then, bake your cottage pie by placing hot coals under your Dutch oven and on the lid.
• As the heat distribution in a Dutch oven is vastly different from a conventional oven, don’t expect to get the browning you can have in normal oven-baked cottage pies. However, this recipe is just as good.
• Leave your cottage pie to bake for 15 minutes and then serve. This recipe is good for six people. It’s best served with some steamed and buttered green beans.
For any outdoor trip, a delicious, warm and filling meal can get you through an activity-filled day or through a cold night. You don’t have to sacrifice having great meals just because you’re out camping. Camp cottage pie is one of the many tasty dishes you can make over a campfire. Don’t let the outdoors stop you from eating well.
Is there anything you would like to add? Share your thoughts below.