fish dinner

WHY I EAT THE FISH I CATCH

If you love fishing, you probably love eating fish too. While more Australians are going with catch-and-release fishing, there are still plenty of us who only catch what we can eat and eat everything we take home.

There is a lot to love about fish. Fish is generally very easy to prepare, only takes a few minutes, is loaded with protein, essential vitamins and minerals while being low in fat. Simply put, fish is really good for us because it contains many of these essential vitamins and minerals that many of us lack in a diet without fish.

You only have to go to a chemist or pharmacy and see a whole host of supplements that contain fish oil. What is it about fish oil that is so good for us?

OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS

Omega-3 fatty acids that are found in oily types of fish are what the fuss is all about. If you want to get real benefits from eating fish, oily fish are the best to eat. There is a growing body of evidence that suggests omega-3 fatty acids help reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, dementia and even age-related macular degeneration.

According to the National Heart Foundation, we should all be eating around 3 serves of fish, especially oily fish, per week for a healthy diet.

BETTER MENTAL DISPOSITION

Taking centre stage with heart disease and obesity is depression. Depression has fast become one of the world’s (and Australia’s) biggest health problems. Depression isn’t black or white either. There are different levels of depression from the most dangerous to simply feeling unmotivated. I myself, have noticed that eating fish (or taking supplements when I am not eating fish) has helped greatly improve my level of motivation.

That fact is that many studies have shown that those who eat fish on a regular basis are less likely to become depressed. Again, it is omega-3 fatty acids that have been shown to provide benefit against depression.

THE ARGUMENT FOR CATCHING YOUR OWN FISH

With all this good news about fish, it can be easy to think that fish is great for us each time we consume it. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. Oily fish can contain toxic pollutants and farmed fish can be contaminated by chemicals used to grow fish and fight diseases. The dangers of toxins include mercury, PCBs and dioxins. When you are buying at the supermarket, you just don’t know.

I recently read a report that stated that only 5% of the fish imported to Australia is inspected for contaminated and prohibited chemicals. Now that leaves me thinking about the 95% of fish that isn’t inspected and Australians consume.

As it is so difficult to know what we are consuming whether we are purchasing from a market or in a shopping mall, I can only argue the case that eating what you catch in the wild has to be the best fish for you and that is why I am a big fan of catching only what I eat and eating everything I catch.

 


Is there anything we can add to this article? Share your experience through the comments section below.

...
mm
Robert M Davies
rob.m@dinga.com.au

Robert passed the "Obsessed With Fishing Test" with flying colours. Instead of talking, Robert has turned his hand to writing about his experience in fishing all around Australia.